July 13, 2009

They call me Supermom

Ever since I was blest with motherhood, I’ve been able to reap the rewards, joys and contentment that comes with the role. With the perks like any job, there are the cons that supplement the vocation too. Coping with tantrums, meal time battles, arm wrestling on who gets the remote and whether the car windows should be screened up or down for the umpteenth time are one of those days where I would like to crawl in a hole and be neighbours with a curios squirrel.

In totality, it has been exhilarating breathing the drama from a distance; it’s like watching your own TV series shot live from your living room. Friends and colleagues pose the popular question, “How do you manage?” or “What’s your secret parenting tips?”. But nothing quite puts the icing on the cake with the recent exuberant title I’ve received, “You don’t know this, but you’re a Supermom!”

Call me ignorant but the last time I remember putting on a suit, was my walking gear, as I chased the boys down the rolling hills, mimicking the ducks at Elder Park, with their eyes gazing us with bewilderment.

I could be ecstatic with the new conferment but they don’t know that I have an invisible Four Arms, one of Ben 10 superhero powers, latched on my body. With my imaginary Four Arms, I tackle the daily house chores, with a vacuum in one hand and another stirring the meat for the shepherd pie. My third arm is storing dishes whilst my fourth runs a quick tab on my incoming emails.

With a 5kg laundry done over two days with the appearance of the gracing sun, I was able to iron the whole launder and organise the toy room, whilst researching and crafting new stories for my articles.

The idea in multitasking has never seen its greater potential until you wear the hat of parenthood. I’ve learnt to store extra toys in sleepy suitcases to avoid a killing fields of Lego and curvy car models. Books are kept within arms reach on the night table or stacked neatly on the floor for a breeze read. My boys like the idea of a chore or two, so I delegate simple fun tasks. Laundry is separated in 3 bags for easy wash; white, coloured and boys clothing. Meals are cooked in big batches and frozen. Huge dinners are brewed, cooked and packed for tomorrow’s lunch box. Fruits, yoghurts and snack bars are kept in the lower shelves of the fridge and pantry, so Supermom is not beckon as she eases herself on her quiet throne.

With a huge and evolving responsibility carried on our shoulder, should we Supermoms practised time out, on ourselves? Should we feel guilty about taking leave for 3 hours to catch a ladies movie night and wonder if little bub has been bottlefed, cleaned and tucked in bed with the right side of the nappy on?

Teamwork, understanding, empathy and a huge dose of laughter are excellent tips in balancing the joys of motherhood. I conclude my day by reflecting that my sons are my greatest teachers, as they impart their wide colourful imagination, dreams and daily banter with me. I can take these lessons of life with me, and scale my personal Everest in my Supermom outfit.

No comments: